Immortal Sayings of Mahatma Gandhi
Born this day one-hundred-and-forty-four years ago, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in Porbandar, Gujarat, India studied law in England and once qualified, worked in India and South Africa, where he remained for 20 years. After returning to India during the World War I, he entered politics to by announcing and leading a campaign of passive resistance to free India from the British rule. He is known as the Father of the Nation and rightly called Mahatma (The Great Soul) by the entire world.
Here are twenty-five immortal sayings of Mahatma Gandhi. These are the principles and values by which he lived all his life.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you wee to live forever.
- You must be the change that you wish to see in the world.
- An for an eye will only make the whole world blind.
- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are on harmony.
- First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.
- The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- Where there is love there is life.
- You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
- A man is the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.
- A ‘No’ uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a’Yes’ merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
- Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is truth.
- Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
- Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
- If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time. And a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm.
- An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
- Prayer is the key of morning and the bolt of the evening.
- Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- The future depends on what you do today.
- To believe in something, and not to live it is dishonest.
- May often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
- Earth provides enough to satisfy everyman’s needs, but not everyman’s greed.
- Seven Deadly Sins:
– Wealth without work
– Pleasure without conscience
– Science without humanity
– Knowledge without character
– Politics without principle
– Commerce without morality
– Worship without sacrifice
25. Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:
- I shall not fear anyone on Earth
- I shall fear only God
- I shall not bear ill will toward anyone
- I shall not submit to injustice from anyone
- I shall conquer untruth by truth. And resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.